Can you believe it's been a little over six months since we moved from the condo to our new/old house? How time flies! We've been working hard and I'll admit that some weeks it was a challenge to work long days and then come home to work on projects for the house. I wanted to take a step back to look at how far we've come. We still have a long way to go, but the progress motivates us!
Remember the day we moved in? It was one of the most tiring days I can remember, but I'm glad that I took some "before" pictures so that we can now track our progress. After the first two months, we were already making headway and I walked around the house with a camera to record it.
This time, I'd like to go back to some of the things that I wrote soon after our move. This is an excerpt from an early "to do" list and it has already been updated once in red. My current update will be written in bold and to make it easier still (or more complicated... I can't decide whether it's better or worse this way) I will highlight everything I have cut and paste from past posts:
Initial "To Do" List:
We are so glad we had our floors professionally finished. We did take on the initial work ourselves... which turned our to be quite a chore. One night, we were up until after 3 am still removing nails from the subfloor, but it was worth the effort.
As we had thought, the porch is low on our list of priorities. We have added a light, but that's probably all we've done. I think there's still a mudroom in our future, but for now, we have created storage space and a welcoming entrance in our front hallway. Corey has also reminded me that we actually did end up moving our church pew to the porch!
Add to this list: I actually wrote this before the move and have since modified in red...
- Have a company install central air. I don't know why I left this major change out of the last post, except that we're not doing it ourselves. We have hired a company and they will likely start next weekend. Unfortunately, most of the duct work in the house is not going to be usable so this will cost more $$$ than we thought and likely take at least a week to complete.
- Create a closet for the master bedroom. We're going to do this as affordably as possible for now.
I smiled when I read this one, since we just finished our master bedroom closet! I can't believe we lived without a proper closet for nearly six months. We must be troopers!
- Install wall-mounted bedside lighting. Soon.
I wasn't kidding when I said "soon". I just checked and I believe Corey installed these during the July storm. I still need to do some patching around the switch plate, which I expect to do before I paint. Check!
- Create built-ins for the living room. Soon
This was another item that made me smile. It was such a HUGE project but we are still thrilled with the result and it was even featured on Apartment Therapy!
- Find or build a garden shed for Corey. Maybe next year. This is not a place to spend money at the moment and we discovered a very functional crawl space under the family room, which will give us storage for gardening tools for now.