|Thanks to Michael Budd for this candid photo taken the summer we first met.|
We met nearly 7 years ago but I can't say that it was love at first sight. There was certainly an attraction, but how could either of us possibly have known that the five year age gap, which was a constant source of jokes from friends, would end up meaning less than nothing.
How lucky we are that we took a chance and kept dating when you went back to school! I couldn't believe my luck that first weekend (I had spent the week crying and thinking about you) when you invited me, an "old lady" of nearly 24, to drive out for a visit! I was so excited to see you but I was smart enough to play it cool so I wouldn't scare you off. I was jealous of all the hot the younger girls and appalled by all the dirty dishes in your sink. Who would have guessed that, between the two of us, you'd end up being the neat one?
Looking back, there are many, many things I never would have imagined about the two of us. We were so different at the time but it's funny how people can grow together and smooth the other person's rough patches... of which I definitely have more than you!
This isn't a love letter because I obviously love you and tell you all the time. This Valentine's Day, I wanted to tell you some of the reasons I like you:
- You can fix things and work with your hands. It's so handy to have you around! You made our home beautiful I know you'll make the next one even better.
- You listen to all my stories and you actually care enough to remember them. You don't even seem to mind when I'm being gossipy or small.
- You are kind to people and always think the best before the worst.
- You stack the dishwasher and take out the garbage because those things gross me out.
- You work so hard (we both do) and we have such different schedules but I am always happy to see you once we're both finally home... because that's the fun part of my day!
- You understand things I don't... like HTML and French.
- You tell me I'm a good driver.
- You're funny and you make up songs with me and talk in funny voices and play tag in our condo. Even Barkley thinks we're ridiculous but we have so much fun!
- You support and respect me and push me to be better. Not once has your support for me, my business or my ideas wavered.
- On your way home from working a long day, you still stop to wash my car or pick up wine.
- You are strong and good at almost everything, but you are also patient with those who are not.
- You are great with Barkley. You were patient with him from the start... even that first night when he cried non-stop and I wanted to take him back to the rescue. You knew we needed someone to take care of. Between the three of us, we can do anything... Except kill spiders; we're all a little afraid of spiders.
Thanks for being such a great friend, partner and confidante. I can't imagine where I'd be without you and I'm so grateful that all those years ago, you thought it would be cool to date an older woman. I hope you still think it's cool... Because we're out of wine. :P
And, I'll end with a "Hey Girl" Meme that I made just for you:
I thought this was pretty darn cute and I made it for an online "Hey Girl" challenge hosted for Valentine's Day by some talented bloggers:
Check out their blogs and consider making your own Gosling-inspired meme of your favourite guy, gal, pet or kid. Spread the love today!
Aww! I loved this so much! And the "old hat" line is hilarious. :)ReplyDelete
Thank you so much, Kelly! I loved the idea!ReplyDelete
Very sweet post, and age only matters if your a cheese!ReplyDelete
Thank you! You're right- we are neither cheese, nor are we scotch so it doesn't matter a bit. :) It's actually just something we joke about now.Delete
a huge thumbs up for the great information you have here on this post. I will be coming again to your site for extra soon. thanksReplyDelete
Do Have a visit at our site, where you could get happy diwali quotes, wishes, sms and greetings!
100% real jordans for cheap
nike shox for men